Use the 2016-2017 Arizona PTA Reflections Handbook to guide your PTA/PTSA and make your Reflections program a success.
Step 1: Start the Arts
Watch this 30min video or take the Reflections Leader e-learning course to walk through a step-by-step process for engaging students, parents and educators in Reflections while learning about resources and tools provided by your State PTA and National PTA.
- The due date for submissions is January 25, 2017 and should be mailed to 2721 N. 7th Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85007 We are sorry but due to the large number of entries we receive each year, late submissions will not be accepted. If you need to make arrangements to drop off your submission, please call Arizona PTA to arrange for an appointment at 602-279-1811.
- Kick-off your program with us during National Arts in Education Week.
- Consider the National Standards for Family-School Partnerships to ensure your Reflections program meets its intended potential.
Step 2: Organize and Plan Your Program
Recruit a committee/team of volunteers to assist with program tasks. Also recruit community arts professionals to review artwork and determine awards.
- Customize your check list to organize tasks and schedule deadlines.
- Consider these Volunteer Job Descriptions to help recruit volunteers with specific skills/interests.
Step 3: Promoting Reflections
Announce your call for entries using PTA, school and community communication channels. Be sure to include a deadline and drop off location as well as submission instructions.
- Consider these Tips for Promoting Reflections
- Distribute posters/flyers or create your own using the Reflections Visual Standards and logo.
- Promotional Tools:
- Flier for students: “What Is Your Story"
- Flier for parents and school leaders: About PTA Reflections (En Espanol)
- Video Showcase of 2016 National Outstanding Winners
- Video for Students (coming soon!)
- Distribute the 2016 Student Entry Form & Rules
- Reference the summary of rules (En Espanol) which includes rules for each category to qualify for eligibility.
Step 4: Organize Artwork for Judging
First, check-in entries and review artwork for qualification. Organize entries by division and category, then assign them to a judge.
- Welcome judges with a copy of program rules and instruct them to complete their scorecards using this rubric.
- Ensure judges review the student's artwork title and artist statement included on the student's entry form, but do not reveal the student's name.
- Assign awards to all qualifying entries. Award levels may include: Award of Excellence, Award of Merit, Honorable Mention and Participant.
Step 5: Celebrate and Recognize Your Participants
- Start with the Reflections celebration guide to help plan your event.
- Share the media advisory and press release with local media.
- Present the Certificate of Participation and other awards available at the PTA Store.
- Learn about National Awards and Recognition opportunities.
Step 6: Wrap Up
- Be sure to thank school staff, community partners, PTA members and judges. Consider this template Thank-you Letter for Volunteers.
- Organize information to share with PTA and school leaders. Consider this Sample Program Evaluation to archive notes for next year.
- Report Participation (Contact state PTA for a PTA Registration Form)